The laboratory purposes are: to study the mineralogical, textural relationships, microchemistry and geochemistry of ores, as well as the composition of the mineralizing fluids that originated them. This data can be used to develop research mineralogical characterization, or approaches to the role of magmatic and hydrothermal processes, helping to develop models that explain the genesis of the deposits, and that can be applied to mineral prospection.
- Petrography of minerals and ores with high definition petrographic microscopes (normal and infrared light), coupled to image capture systems.
- Micro thermometric studies of fluid inclusions in transparent and opaque minerals (using platins of normal and infrared light).
- Microchemistry of trace elements with Laser Ablation-ICP-MS.
- Studies of mineral Cathode luminescence coupled to a petrographic microscope with spectrometer for luminescent carbonates and minerals.
- Studies on silicated melt inclusions allowing know the alkaline magmas composition enriched in Rare Earths elements.